- Plan Your Visit
- Events & Exhibits
- Gift Shop & Tea Room
- Support The Museum
1887 – The Victorian home was built by John G. Braecklein for John and Margaret Scroggs. At age 21, this was Mr. Braecklein’s first commission. It was considered at the time one of the most outstanding examples of the Queen Anne Style architecture erected in Kansas City, Kansas. The Scroggs family lived there for 32 years.
1919 – In 1918 an influenza epidemic raged throughout the United States. Many children of the local St. John the Baptist Parish were left without one or both parents. Msgr. Martin D. Krmpotic, the Church’s Pastor, asked the Sisters of St. Francis of Christ the King to open a local orphanage for these children. On August 15, 1919, Sister M. Bonaventure visited the Cruise-Scroggs home and purchased it for $15,400 for use as an orphanage. The Sisters operated the orphanage from 1919 until the summer of 1988, when it was closed due to changing social needs.
1988 – Upon closing of the orphanage, the property was acquired by the Strawberry Hill Ethnic Cultural Society for conversion into a museum dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the Slavic heritage prevalent in the Kansas City, Kansas area.
720 N. 4th
Kansas City, Kansas 66101
Children (6-12 years old) $3.00
Children (under 6 years old) FREE
The museum is open every Saturday and Sunday from noon to 5 pm.
Last tour starts at 4:15 pm
The museum is always closed Easter, Mothers Day and Fathers Day.